Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hello from Phuket












I just see that I did not do a write up for Thursday. I will post it next time I am on. Sorry.




Friday






I cannot believe we have officially reached our 4 month mark. Today brought a mixed range of emotions. I said goodbye to my morning adult class, and some of the staff. We plan on coming back before we actually fly back to Canada to say our real goodbyes. I am excited to have a break and just be able to relax and travel, but I am really going to miss it here. I feel like there is still so much I want to do before I go home.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when we leave for Phuket to vacation for the week. I am going to enjoy lying on the beach and not having to think about what I am going to teach or how we are going to get back to Mercy.

Today we took a bus from MoChit to Ayuthaya, which is about 90 minutes north of Bangkok. Ayuthaya is located in Central Thailand and was the former royal capital from 1350-1767. Prior to the emergence of the Ayuthaya kingdom the town was a Khmer outpost. In 1767 after numerous conflicts with the Burmese, the city was sacked by the invading army, where numerous things were stolen or destroyed. In 1991 Ayuthaya was named a Unesco World Heritage Site.

Ayuthaya is surrounded by 3 rivers: Mae Nam Chao Phraya, Mae Nam Pa Sak, and the smaller Mae Name Lopburi

Over 400 temples were constructed in the Ancient city of Ayuthaya. Very little remains of most of the temples besides rows of roofless columns and sagging steps, however the site is still worth seeing and imagining.

One of my students hooked us up with a guide from the university. Her friend is a teacher there, and instead of us getting ripped off she asked some of her students to take us around. When we went to call them on the bus on the way there we had phone troubles, so I thought we were done for. Thankfully someone was at the bus station to meet us, saying that my students have been worried sick because they could not get a hold of me. They rented a van which took us around for the day. We saw several old temples as well as a few museums and some temples still intact. The views were breathtaking, and very photogenic. Our two tour guides were very helpful, and fun to spend the day with as they were our age.

We ended the tour at the romantic temple, or so they called it. I must admit, it was pretty romantic.

We were brought back to the bus and then took the bus back to Bangkok. We had supper at Soi 38 and then finished our day off with ice cream.

I will write more with the pictures when I get back to the city.


No comments: