Monday, March 10, 2008

Ko Chang Weekend - PARADISE

We found paradise! This weekend Misty and I went to Ko Chang which is Thailand’s second largest island, located incredibly close to Cambodia. It took about five hours on the bus to get there followed by an hour ferry ride and then 30 minutes in a songtheaw. It was completely worth it. We stayed two nights in a resort which cost less than $40 CDN. We ate mostly western food (NO RICE) and enjoyed a luke warm shower. The beach was amazing, the water warm and refreshing. However, the sun was incredibly hot, and even with the constant reapplication of sunscreen, I look like a lobster and move no faster than a turtle. I don’t think I’ve ever been burned so bad in my life. The Thai people are sure taking notice, especially here at work as to them it sounds like a crazy idea that people try to get a tan, because they see white skin as being more superior. I wonder what red skin is considered.

We arrived back in Bangkok last evening. The bus ride home seemed a lot longer than the bus ride there. On the way home we stopped for a 15 minute break which gave us a chance to stretch our legs and use the bathroom. I was prepared for the lack of toilet paper, but I was not prepared for everything else I had to experience. I went into the bathroom stall to find what looked like a raised whole on the floor. I had no idea what to do, stand, hover, sit…Misty and I had a good laugh about it.

I also had the wonderful experience of using the bathroom on the bus, which required me to maneuver around two huge buckets of water plus the ‘toilet’ in a stall about the same size as a shower stall. Let’s just say I am glad I came out alive and dry.

Oh, for those who know me well, I have some good news. We have almost been here a month now, and I have been living without a hairdryer, shower, or strengthener. Also this weekend was a huge step for me, no pillow! I guess this makes me a new and improved person. Should be much easier backpacking around Asia minus my pillow, I think it will save a lot of room. J It might also provide me with extra space to pack more things for home…but I don’t think I’ll go to that extreme yet.

This morning I decided it was time to try our new hairdryer. I wasn’t that far along into the drying process when my hair somehow got stuck in the back of the blow dryer and started wrapping itself around the fan. Misty tried her best to help me get most of it out, but it became so tangled and knotty, not worth saving. I had to make use of one of the finest resources we have,…our nail clippers. So yes I cut my hair with nail clippers today. I think it might be time this weekend to get a real haircut.

Before I go, I would also like to tell you about the landscape outside of Bangkok. Things looked much different as we drove past the airport and into the rural area. The houses looked different, and many people were working in the fields. The cows were huge and we only saw a few of them. As we got closer to the coast there were more mountains. It was breathtaking. I think this is the Thailand that everyone dreams about. Misty and I are grateful that we get to see as much as Thailand as possible, rather than just the Bangkok, Thailand or the beach, Thailand.

Another thing to note is that this weekend we probably saw a total of 50 or more couples. By couples I mean old western men with young Thai women. Men often fly here to “date” young Thai women because they can have them at a cheap price. I prepared myself for this situation, but it is still quite shocking to actually see.

For those of you who are wondering, Misty and I have yet to meet our Australian doctors on the beach. However, Skylor, do not stop saving for our wedding, there are still more beach excursions planned for the future.

These next few days are going to be very busy here at Mercy. Seven hundred kindergarten children are graduating from Mercy Preschools. These ceremonies will be all day for the next 4 days. The children look adorable in their caps and gowns. I will post pictures later. (From our weekend as well).

Finally on a very happy note. My friend Egg who lives here in the AIDS hospice has come back from the hospital and is doing very well. Thank you for our prayers.

No comments: