Thursday, March 27, 2008

Not Much Excitement

Not too much exciting news here, another regular day at Mercy. I woke up this morning sick, but determined. I decided that even if I make it to Mercy and am unable to teach, I will go to the doctor. I still have a fever, but with the help of some Advil, the headache is mostly gone.
We taught at the preschool again this morning. They make my week. We went over the alphabet with them and then introduced them to some common animal vocabulary words. We got them to do a dot to dot alphabet worksheet which makes a butterfly and then the children colored it. We also worked on the colors and then did some dancing to English children’s songs to end the class. The children especially love the chicken dance.
It was nice to see the children again. When we arrive they all come over and hug us and talk Thai to us. I really wish I knew what they were saying. When we leave they all say “Thank you teacher” and then give us the traditional Thai wai as a gesture of their thanks.
After walking back to Mercy I was greeted by my student, who also happens to be in our preschool class. I did not realize this until today so I had similar work planned for her. Thankfully I am pretty quick at thinking on my feet. After class she joined us for lunch in the staff cafeteria. We had a chance to talk to our new volunteer, volunteer coordinator. Her name is Emma and she moved here with her husband in December. She is originally from England but spent the last few years in Singapore with his work. It was nice to have another conversation with someone who is fluent in English.
After lunch we taught another class and then took a motorbike taxi home. At this point I should also mention that I’m seriously considering getting a motorbike when I am ready to trade my car in. I love them. I guess I am my mother’s daughter.
I slept for most of the afternoon…okay all of the afternoon until it was time to go back and teach our final class of the evening. After waiting over an hour and none of the students showing up we decided to walk to Tesco to get some western groceries (bread, milk, corn flakes) and then caught the bus home. We are pretty proud of our bus adventures. We have kind of figured out the bus system which will save us a lot of money from taxis.
I am going to end this here as I do not feel well at all. Oh and Misty and I are meeting a member of the Canadian Embassy for lunch soon. He is a nephew from my neighbor in Amherst. It’s a small world.

No comments: