Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Monday March 17 - Finally an English Conversation

This morning Misty and I went to Mercy to prepare lessons for the coming week. We could only really plan for one of our classes as we will be redoing our whole schedule tomorrow because we will no longer be teaching the two university prep girls all day. After spending time at Mercy we went to our new favorite park to relax, read and finish lesson planning for the afternoon. We had the pleasure of meeting a young Norwegian guy who was here on vacation for two weeks. It turns out that he was also a teacher in Norway. Si Jie met up with us for supper and we went to a nice place called Coco, off of Soi 39. Misty and I stumbled upon this street during one of our first attempts at finding our home when we first arrived so we remembered it and made a mental note to come back. The menu was interesting and included alligator, jelly fish, squid, crab, and a few other choices. I decided I would try some duck as I was thinking back to a special trip I took last year, and my companion always choosing duck. I finally decided it was time to try it for myself. It was quite appetizing, and very filling. Maybe next time I will try something a little more risky.

I should also mention my new love. Lately I have been spending some quality time with an extra special thing. This thing is orange juice blends. Basically it is Thai oranges (which have become another one of my absolute favorite things) blended with ice cubes. I order it at every chance I get and have trouble savoring it until I am completely finished my meal. I even get mad at Misty when she makes me eat more after I finished my last taste of the juice.
One thing we learned tonight, that we probably should have been made aware of was that you have to ask for the bill. There have been times when Misty and I have waited over half an hour for the bill and finally decided to ask for it. I guess this is the Thai way. Even if they see you sitting there with your wallets ready to pay, they will not bring over the bill until you ask.

We also treated ourselves to a Swensen ice cream. This place is the best ice cream place ever! I think it gives Talamini in Europe a run for its money. Each time we go, we try to order something different. This is like a very fancy Dairy Queen where all of the ice cream is made there but you can order very special dishes of it.

The house is very quiet now. The boys are all gone for the week. Half of them are gone to a camp and the other half are gone for meditation for the week. They will be praying every day in white and eating only one meal a day. We really noticed their void in the house this morning when we went downstairs and were not greeted by their ‘good mornings’ and welcoming hugs and smiles. I can’t even imagine how I am going to feel when we go back to Canada. As easy as it is to say, it is very difficult not to get attached to them when you see them every day. We all grow to become so much a part of each other that they have become like little brothers or our children to us.

That’s all the exciting news I have for now. It’s time for bed. (I always write these at home and them save them to post when I get to Mercy in the morning as I do not have internet connection.)

I will try and post those pictures I promised as soon as I can.

No comments: