Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How do you translate “Diddle, Diddle?” – Misty

As you notice from the title of this blog, the problem with teaching a second language is that they want every world they do not understand to be explained. So when choosing your work for the day, you have to be careful to make sure that you can explain every word, which is not the case for many nursery rhymes.

Even though I have not always admitted it, I am proud to have grown up on a farm. One thing I have learned is that the experiences of living on a farm help me survive being in another country. You may be wondering why I was reminded of this today. Well, on the walk to Mercy this morning I passed by one of the foulest smells I have ever experienced. I still have no idea what it was, but the flies were sure attracted to it. It is just nice to be able to put a name to the awful smells with things that remind me of home, so they are more bearable. (notice I said bearable here, and not enjoyable). For example, the smell of slaughtering chickens, cow manure, and moth balls.

Today we made a new schedule for the month of June. It is frustrating to keep changing our schedule when we just get used to the old one, but we do not have much of a choice since the children are all back in school. We will still be teaching the adult classes in the morning, but now we will not start class again until 4 in the afternoon and teach until 6. We figured out a way that we can get all of students in those two hours, but that it would require that all 3 of us teach our own classes at the same time every night. I will continue to teach Plaew after she comes back from school. She is the 5 year old niece of one of the PR staff. I will also teach Lek, Boome and Dew. Misty and I are splitting this second class, so really I will mostly be teaching Lek. However, she can be difficult to motivate, and it is very tiring for one person to continue to keep her on top of things, so together we can decide who is going to teach who. Apparently, I am the best one to keep her working, despite the language barrier. I wonder if that should be taken as an insult or a compliment. J It was hard to decide who was teaching who because there are some students who make teaching enjoyable, and others are a little more challenging. However, we based it on their current English level, with SiJie teaching the students who have a lower level of English, so she can incorporate Thai when there is a need to explain something, and Misty and I can work on higher level learning with the others. The ones SiJie will be teaching are still at the level where they are learning more basic things such as the terms brother-in-law, nouns, verbs, etc.

We will also be only teaching one preschool now, by our choice. We moved the preschool class to the beginning of the week so we will have more energy, and be better prepared. We decided to stop teaching the other preschool and leave our morning free so we can go with Sister Joan on the milk run. We have only had the opportunity to go once when we first arrived, but it has been by far one of the most rewarding experiences we have had here so far. The milk run is usually every second Friday, and we go into two communities in the slum and deliver powdered milk to those families who have children less than a year old. Caregivers receive bonuses if they bring their children with them. These can be anything from diapers to fruits and vegetables, whatever has been donated. The milk run is mostly operable based on donations from the Australian Women’s Group. They are always in need of constant donations to help keep it running.

The milk run is one of the best ways to see the harsh realities of living well below the poverty line. You see line ups of families who cannot even provide the most basic necessities to their newborn children, and who are just struggling to survive. The milk is distributed using a numbering system, so everything is recorded; who got what, when. Unfortunately, along with such system comes rules and guidelines. Once children reach their first birthday (which we pray that most will) they will not longer be able to receive the benefits. It is just not possible to continue to supply the service with limited donations, and so many families who need them to survive. Also, the birth certificate of each child needs to be shown. A family is only given one or two chances to bring it in, and if they continue to come back without it, they will be denied milk until it is shown. I am not sure the exact reasoning for this, but it is not the highlight of Sister Joan’s job; turning away a mother and her child, when they are clearly in need.

When we finished working today it was way too hot to attempt to walk home, and since the sawngthaews are near impossible to locate during the day we decided to take a motorbike taxi home. They have a spot right outside Mercy where they sit all day and wait for people to come. You see them throughout Bangkok. We are quite lucky here as they know exactly where to bring us and we know the set rate.

However, today was not my typical ride home because I was wearing a skirt and it is obviously not too appropriate to straddle the seat, so I had to sit side-saddle. It is more common for girls in Thailand to sit this way, but I never attempted it until today. Now I know why. I think sitting this way is designed more for shorter people as I had to constantly be aware of where my foot was because it was only about an inch off the ground. This was especially important during sharp turns or speed bumps. Also, it was important to hang on for dear life (which I definitely did) and to try and balance as best as I could. Turning on to the main street I thought I was going to fall off backwards, which would be incredibly terrible as we did not have helmets on. Also, riding on the back of a motorbike as it passes a car straight on in oncoming traffic is not always my idea of a good time, but it got my heart pumping for sure. Will I take a motorbike again? Definitely. Will I sit with both feet off to the same side? No way!

After having an extra long afternoon nap, our plans for the afternoon were quickly ruined when we were headed outside and it started down pouring sheets of rain. In Thailand, when it rains, it rains (well I know this is the case everywhere, but you know what I mean). It is so heavy that it is the rain that you have the wipers on as fast as you possibly can and still not be able to see the road. Usually it will rain heavy for a few minutes and then completely stop as if nothing happened. It’s the strangest thing. The streets collect enough water that even hours later you can tell it rained. Technically it is not monsoon season yet, so we should be expecting a lot more rain in the coming months.

Most of the boys here are back in school now; everyone except Bird who was home alone again today. He does not start until tomorrow. They are back to their routine of waking up in the wee hours of the morning, around 5, and then going to bed at 8 pm. Their clothing area is in the room outside of our room, so we hear them getting dressed and ready for school in the mornings. This morning I was awaken to them saying their morning prayers. They go on for quite a while; I wish I could understand the words.

As side note: I will be doing a presentation on working with children with special needs May 25th. The presentation will take place in the afternoon, and will be geared mostly to house parents and teachers. If you are in the area and would like directions, call my cell.
I hope to see you all there.

Even though we are fully aware that lice is a very common part of life here at Mercy, and here in the slums, I never really saw much of it, besides the ‘lice pickers’ we walk by. By lice pickers I mean people who are searching the hair of their family and friends with a pair of tweezers, and pulling out what they find. Today when we were talking to one of the girls, Misty noticed lice crawling around in her hair. Thankfully I did not notice it. I am also thankful that we live with the boys, who keep their hair relatively short, and also that if worse comes to worse I came prepared, thanks to mom. Feeling Itchy?

Misty and I’ve found some entertainment. Today while going through one of the magazines at work while I waited for my class, I found a full page shot of Wentworth Miller. We brought him home, and he is currently sitting between us on our bed. Whether he will stay here, or we will find another more appropriate location for him, I do not know, but I am sure it is quite the sight. Misty – “ Whether we create a shrine for him in our room or not….”

Well folks, that’s all for now. I miss you all, and can’t wait to come home for some hot water, a nice shower, lack of lice, fresh farm smelling air, and momma bear’s delicious home cooking.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I sent mom the picture of the hairstyle that you sent to me... she showed it to dad and he goes 'Wow, isn't that a little wild' LOL... and mom replies 'That's the new style'. Then dad said something about will she look that pretty too... and mom goes, I told you to look at the hair, not the girl. HAHA.

Oh my, we have interesting parents! :-)