Saturday, May 24, 2008

Seems like all we do is eat

I forgot to mention that yesterday the humidity was unbelievable. Some days the humidity is okay in the morning, and we can walk to work. Yesterday we had to walk a little further in a different direction to meet Sister Joan for the milk run. Just standing outside during the milk run was exhausting as the heat was trying to suffocate us. I wasn’t the only one who noticed either, as everyone commented on it. Even last night the wind was warm.

Last night was a pretty quiet night. After work we went to Soi 38 for dinner. (Soi means street) SiJie went with one of the staff here last week and we also read about it in the local newspaper as being a great place to eat. It is all street vendors and street restaurants but is very popular both with locals and farangs. We ate at one of the street restaurants, and as I was waiting for my food I was shocked at how many farangs were in the area. Usually we do not see any in the slums or close to where we live as it is not a favorable area to live, and Soi 38 is parallel to our street. I ordered rice with stir fry vegetables. I was curious to see what the vegetables would be like as the stir fry is never like the stir fry I know from back home. I was pleasantly surprised to see carrots, asparagus, baby corn, and other greens on a delicious bed of rice with an incredible sauce. The food was absolutely delicious and only cost 60 Baht, drink included ($2 CDN). I think this might be our new favorite dinner place. Because of our teaching schedule we miss supper both at home and at Mercy, so we usually settle for something in our room…I do not think we need to do this anymore.

We came back to our room and watched some English movies. There was a large donation of English movies dropped off here the other day, so we have been keeping ourselves occupied by watching all of the romantic comedies. After our first movie we were all craving ice cream, but unfortunately Swensen’s is a little too far away to walk to in the dark. We remembered that the Pizza Company sold ice cream, so some how we went from wanting to have ice cream to ordering pizza. Since we have a membership there, thanks to hottie at the front, we decided we should get some use out of it. We called their order number (sadly we have a lot of these memorized, yet we never ordered take out before). Because we wanted to use our buy one pizza, get one free card, we could not get the free delivery. So going from wanting ice cream, deciding to order pizza so we did not need to leave the building, we ended up walking down the street to pick it up. Funny what people do for entertainment. Back at Soi 40 we watched another movie, ate some pizza and finished off our beer.

This morning I woke up early again. The funny thing about this place is that no matter what time I go to bed, I always wake up around the same time. It does not help that most days my alarm goes off, whether I set it or not. Even though our bed is some what comfy, I cannot remember the last time I slept through the whole night without waking up, or even if that happened since I have arrived. I cannot wait to be back in my own bed, and snuggle in the blankets.

No comments: