Friday, May 16, 2008

We cleaned DQ out of Ice Cream Cakes!

I spent most of my walk this morning, planning the week after my return to Canada. Yes, I know it is a little early to plan that, but it was more or less me imaging what I am going to do upon my return. So far I have planned lots of sleep, a visit to the hair dresser, washing all my clothes with the hottest water imaginable, buying a new pillow (I am leaving mine here…big step I know. Jess you’d be so proud), and showering and bathing about three times a day. This last one is only after I soak for a while in the ocean as per mom’s request. I do not even want to think about how dirty I am sure we really are considering our lack of a real shower. It is not that I am doing this huge cleaning ritual to cleanse myself of this whole experience; I just do not want to think of it EVERY time I look in the mirror, for other reasons other than the memories and the people. Also, my week will consist of me driving back and forth (both so I can enjoy my car again, and because it means I do not have to take a taxi) between mom and dad’s and Pat and Cliff’s, mostly just to enjoy their cooking.

My morning class went better than I had planned. I started off by describing all of the parts of a typical western menu, using Dubliner’s as an example. They asked questions throughout and gave their opinion on such things as why a spoon makes so much more sense to eat with than a fork, and why only the main course is sufficient as opposed to an appetizer, a main course AND a dessert. I also explained how Canada has a food guide and that we try to make our eating habits a reflection of this. To them that was completely unheard of. I also talked about some of the food safety rules, such as how meat should not be left out of the fridge for too long, how raw meat should never touch cooked meat and how you need to use a different plate. They understood some of the reasons behind this, but Thailand does not follow any of these practices, well people in the slums do not at least. But to many people in the slums, food can be the only thing they need to survive another day, whether that food has been sitting in the sun covered in flies, or thrown out in someone’s garbage.

Misty and I taught kindergarten today after not seeing them for two weeks. We were very excited to see them again, but it never occurred to us that we might have a whole new batch of children now that school started up again. We were very confident in our choice of shapes for a topic, and were excited that we finally picked a worksheet that they would be able to do. However, we quickly discovered that this new batch of children were not near the level of English as our other students have been, and we should have started right back at the beginning with the alphabet. The children giggled every time we said a word; as if it was the first English word they have ever heard. I am not sure how old they were but I am guessing around 4 years of age. Many of them were not familiar with the school routine as they were throwing around pencils and stealing crayons from each other. After we finished saying the alphabet and dancing to some of the songs on the CD, we decided to resort to the worksheets. However, when trying to explain them, we realized that it did not look like they were going to be a success by judging the look on the teacher’s faces. Instead we got the children to color the shapes. It is always good to practice their coloring, right?

Today I was talking to one of the house moms and she told me that Folk does not do a good job at brushing his teeth. Most of the younger children’s front teeth are rotten, if they are there at all. So I got John to translate to Folk that tonight we would brush our teeth together. I went down to get him after supper with my tooth brush and toothpaste, and we came back up in my room to brush our teeth together. Just as soon as we put toothpaste on our toothbrushes, there was a knock at the door, and we opened it to find one of the youngest kids, with a big smile on his face and a toothbrush in his hand. It was clear in the first few sections that it was not a matter of them not brushing them long enough, but rather a matter of not knowing what to do. We brushed for a few minutes together, and then I had to help him finish up. I felt so bad for them as their teeth were bleeding. Also, Folk started to freak out when he got tooth paste on his tongue, which was surprising because if you are brushing regularly that should not be unusual. The house moms asked that I teach all of the boys in the morning, so I think that is my next big mission. I didn’t realize that when we signed up to be English teachers here, it meant that we were teaching almost every possible skill to everyone; children how to brush their teeth, teaching adults how to work with children with special needs and teaching people how to order food in a restaurant.

From now on, I will try and brush them with these two whenever I am here. I wish we were around at the same time every evening so we could keep a sticker chart for them. They were very excited to come in our room as it is usually a ‘no-go’ zone, so hopefully that will also be another incentive to get them to brush. (I just picture them looking around the room and brushing as long as they can so they can check everything out.)

Nancy started to cry when we spoke to her this morning. She said that she has really missed us the last few days, as we have been so busy, that we have not been able to have lunch with them. I think there is a lot more going on in her head. She has been at Mercy for about a month now, and I imagine the honeymoon period is now over for her and she is beginning to realize that she has to live by the rules of Mercy, which are not too easy to adapt to after you have been on our own for so long. I think it is also hard for her to see all of her friends getting healthier and going home.

Momma is leaving next week. She is healthy enough to go home. Even though I am very happy for her, I am also quite sad. She asked if we could write letters back and forth, even if they will be in English and Thai, so we can find someone to translate them. Nancy also agreed to translate phone calls. Momma gave me a pair of blue cross earrings today.
Uma is also leaving in the next two weeks. It is kind of bitter sweet for him. He is excited to be going to see his family again, but he would also like to stay at Mercy. Before he came to Mercy he spent 2 years living on the streets after his wife kicked him out. It was while living on the streets that he came in contact with AIDS, through his unhealthy habits of drinking too much and experimenting with different types of drugs. When he was on these substances he did not make the wisest of choices. Thankfully all of the healthier AIDS patients are educated, like they were yesterday, on how to take better care of themselves.

Today I sat with Takatan while she licked away at her ice cream. We are trying to teach her how to be a lady; however I think we have a little more work to do. Yes, she is only 3 years old, but she tries. Today wearing her school uniform, Takatan spilled ice cream all over her skirt. Instead of wiping it off, she brought her skirt to her mouth and sucked it all, bearing herself to the world. We had a good laugh over it. She quickly learned that the key is to stand up and turn around so that when the ice cream drips it drips on the ground. I guess it is partially our fault too for giving her an ice cream in 100 degree weather.

SiJie got bit by a dog last night as soon as our taxi dropped her off. She got out a few meters away from Mercy and was bit as she was walking to the bus. We demanded that she see a doctor today, and she was given several injections. It looks like she is going to make it after all.

We had another party! This time we had the party for SiChon (Spicy) and his sister. This afternoon Misty and I went to Carrefour to buy 4 ice cream cakes. Dairy Queen was happy to see us come, and they were laughing the whole time. I am not sure if the workers understood why we would want 4 cakes, but it was an experience that is for sure, especially since it was only a small little vendor in the mall. Also, we basically cleaned them out of ice cream cake.

We tried to find chips that the children would like, so we went for more fishy kinds, such as seaweed, crab flavored, and spicy something. We also got some juice packs and fruit for all of the children. We left it in the large freezer at Mercy, so when we were finished teaching we could take it straight to the boys. They were so excited as it was a surprise for all of them. However, the ice cream was beginning to melt, so we had to eat it before supper (I do not think they minded) but it sure did spoil their supper. Two of the youngest boys were so full on ice cream and chips that they did not want supper. Oops. Oh well, as long as it doesn’t happen every day.

Tonight during the party Gelong asked me to come sit beside him. Some of the other boys asked as well but I already agreed that I would sit beside Galong and Folk. Turning down another stool I walked to the end of the table and sat down. However, I probably should have checked first as I sat on the broken stool and quickly fell to the ground. Gelong laughed soo hard! His mouth was open as wide as his face. He laughed for about 3 minutes straight and even an hour after the incident he was still telling people about it. I am glad I was able to do something for their amusement.

Misty and I are laughing right now as we were just commenting on how the boys are all likely going to have diarrhea tonight because of the milk products. Yes they eat ice cream but not likely ever this much. However, I am sure that even they would agree that it was worth it.

Tonight SiJie reminded me that my Autism presentation was moved to this Saturday. I think I should probably get off of this and start preparing for it. I am at Mercy right now, so I will post some pictures from the evening as soon as I get to an internet cafe. 


No comments: