Thursday, April 17, 2008

Back in Bangkok

April 17

We woke this morning to the sound of the alarm, as we had to check out of our guest house by 10 am. We packed last night so we did not have much to do when we woke up. We stayed in our room until the last possible moment, watching movies on tv.

We went for breakfast at the Art Café. It was quite tasty and not badly priced, considering we got a fruit salad, toast, eggs, bacon, and juice for 115 baht.

We stayed there as long as we possibly could, trying to delay how long we would need to carry our gear around.

We took a songtheaw to Central Airport Plaza which is only about 2km away from the airport. It is a huge 4 floor shopping center. We found it a little frusturating to try and maneouver around stores with a backpack on front and on back. The mall did not have any security or lockers where we could leave our stuff. We finally found an empty shopping cart that would hold our things, so we were happy again.

We had lunch at MK Restaurants which is as popular in Thailand as KFC and McDonalds. However, after eating there, we are not sure why this is the case. We ended up going to Starbucks afterwards to wash away the awful taste in our mouths. Lesson learned.

After spending 7+ hours in the mall, Misty came out with a $9 pair of shoes, and I came out empty handed. Oh yes, we also killed some time by Misty getting a haircut. This was a huge step for her because her mother is a hairdresser and normally does her hair. I’ll be honest with you; it was a scary experience for both of us. He sure did a lot of thinning and she came out looking more Asian, mullet and all. Thankfully we have time to allow it to grow back before we head home. Honestly, it is not that bad.

We left the mall and traveled the 2km to the airport, 2 hours before the 2 hour check in time. You can tell we were really bored and really excited to get out of here.

After spending over 4 hours waiting in the airport, our plane finally arrived. Unfortunately our gate was changed at the last minute, which did not allow us to be in the front of the line to board the plane. However, we lucked out and got two seats by themselves at the exit. A fellow Canadian from Quebec sat in front of us. My book also did me well as I finished it about 5 minutes into the flight. I don’t think ive ever read so many books for pleasure in my life as I have since arriving in Bangkok. I guess this is to be expected when you do not have a tv or access to the internet at home.

As I was sitting on the flight I was really looking forward to not only getting back to Bangkok but seeing the boys as well. Half of them have been working and living at the villa during the summer months.

I especially miss Gelong as he went to the house parent’s hometown for the summer months. The house parent is really great for him and takes good care of him; better care than he would receive at Soi 40, being only 1 of a house full of boys.

I spoke to my mom from our cell while waiting in the airport. I hear things are warming up at home, and it really is starting to feel like spring with the temperature rising to 17 degrees. I’d love for you to take some more of our heat as it was in the 40s today.

I have been eaten alive by mosquitoes. They look the same as back home, and they produce the same results. The only strange part is, you never really feel yourself getting bit, so it is a mystery to me when they actually attack.

Well, that’s all for now.

We arrived in Bangkok safe and sound and 10 minutes earlier than expected!

No comments: