Friday, April 25, 2008

My Thai Family

Friday

This morning we arrived at Mercy around 7:30 am. My first class was cancelled as many of the students had a work related meeting. I spent most of this time preparing for our preschool class and chatting with the girls down in the PR office. Misty’s class was cancelled as well so together we went to visit Nancy, Uma, Momma and the others in the adult AIDS hospice. We had a long chat with them and they invited us to have lunch with them. This is not the first time they invited us but today we were finally able to have our lunch with them. We promised them we would be back and we were then off to teach the preschool.

It was only raining a little bit outside but enough to warrant the first use of my raincoat. I think we attracted more attention walking to the preschool wearing raincoats than we did selling ice in Chiang Mai. We only found out afterwards that people in Thailand do not really dress for the weather. If something happens and it is raining, they simple wait for the rain to stop. Having attire that is actually designed so that you can carry on with your every day habits in the rain seems like such a silly idea. I guess this is what umbrellas are for.

There were about 20 children in our preschool class. They were very excited to see us as we have not seen them in a few weeks. They came up and gave us plenty of hugs and were very eager to start the class. Like yesterday, the focus of our lesson was opposites. We are able to usually do a similar lesson for both preschool classes, with only a few minor adjustments. To end the class we played…you guessed it….duck duck goose! This game has become such a favorite for them as well.

Returning back to Mercy it was lunch time! Misty and I went and got our lunch and brought it downstairs to eat with the AIDS patients. They were so happy to see that we finally came and already had 2 chairs ready for us. We had a great time at lunch, and I especially enjoyed it as I feel like a part of their little family. Even though some of them cannot communicate, their smiles say enough. Uma was trying to convince me that some of the food was not spicy. Thankfully I already asked some of the security guards upstairs and they told me what to think. They are usually very good and guessing whether or not I would like something or would find it spicy or not.

After we finished eating, Nancy wanted to sing so we all cleared away from the table (as singing at the table is not appreciated) and had a choral group. It was quite entertaining to watch and be a part of. Momma and I danced during some of the songs, much to the amusement of the staff. Momma and I have become very good friends. Even though she does not speak English, and I do not speak Thai, we seem to have a sort of understanding. I wish we could communicate together without the aid of Nancy, as I can only imagine we would become very very close. Momma asked that we exchange phone numbers before she leaves (she will be leaving next month) so that she can keep in contact when she is back home. Everyone laughed as they know the conversation will really only consist of “Hello, how are you today? I am fine thank you.” Nancy promised that she would translate. Momma is very much like my mother in Thailand. I wish you could meet her. Unfortunately we are not able to take pictures in the adult hospice so I cannot show you any of our fun times.

This afternoon we taught our last class with the sea gypsies. We originally thought that today was their last day but yesterday they told us that they were here until May 3rd, so we were very confused. We found out that today is their last class as on Monday they will be going away for their last week in Bangkok. I wish we would have known earlier as we would have had more of a celebration. Thankfully I took my camera to class on Thursday and we already got a couple of group pictures.

We taught a few more classes and then were finished for the day. Since we already missed supper we went to a street vendor restaurant on the way home. As we were eating, the rain started again, accompanied by thunder and lightening. It is so strange that the rain starts around the same time and will happen every night for a while. It has made the days feel cooler so that is a bonus. One of the downsides is the rain puddles in the slums are not puddles you want to go jumping in. The rain really covers the street which causes the garbage to surface.

Sorry but I am going to cut this short as the internet is finally working at home, so I want to get this posted before I lose the connection!

Hope you enjoy the snow at home!

No comments: