Friday, April 4, 2008

Just another day

Today was mostly just like every other day here. My first two classes were cancelled as the students were either too busy, or did not show up. We walked to the kindergarten class in the heart of the slums. In the middle of class there was a loud sound and then smoke and all of the children started running outside and getting their shoes. I was a little nervous as I had no idea what was going on and I was worried that it might be a fire. Then, all of a sudden the children were all back in the classroom, sitting in their orderly lines on the floor. I was not sure what that was about but one of the Public Relations staff called to check up afterwards. It turns out that they were just spraying because of the bees, and they do not want the children inside the buildings as it is a confined space. I do not think there was much difference between the dead air in the alley ways in comparison to the air in the building.

Lunch was amazing. I can honestly say it was the best meal we have had at Mercy yet. Since my noon class did not show, I went for lunch with some of the staff. It was oil rice and fried chicken with a sweet sauce and cut up cucumbers. And boy was it Ahroy Ma! I was even more excited to see that pineapple was our dessert. I was in heaven. In the afternoon we taught the sea gypsies. They are such a fun and exciting group of teens so the time really flies when we work with them. We do most game like activities that encourage a lot of English communication. I think we have been able to teach them more than most of our other students.

Immediately after the sea gypsy students were finished, one of our other students was waiting for his class. During class, one of my earlier students showed up for her class. Thankfully I was prepared, so we had an impromptu class. Finally we had a short break before our final class of the evening and we were finished at 6pm.

Thankfully I was warned that students do not always take class as their priority, so often times you may not have any students come. I understand this as learning English may seem like one of the smaller things in life. It is frustrating but something you cannot take personally as it is just a part of the culture in Khlong Toey.

In the evening we met up with Nick, from the Canadian Embassy here in Thailand. We went out for some food and drinks at a local pub called Robin Hood. Thankfully he was able to answer all of our questions about Thailand and the neighboring countries, and also provide us with an evening of nice conversation.

That’s all the news for now, I’m exhausted.

No comments: